Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Mayor of the Universe



I think that there should be a new addition to driver education and driving exams. This part would include appropriate and inappropriate ways to communicate with pedestrians and other drivers. Specifically this would include when and when not to yell things. I don't want to sound sexist, but if I was Mayor of the Universe I would target this education and testing on young men. Actually it would target all men. (I may be questionably sexist but I am NOT ageist).
I'm very curious what people think they will accomplish by doing the drive by catcall at someone walking on the sidewalk. "Gee whiz. That girl has all limbs attached - that's an attractive quality. Maybe if I yell something about the way she walks she'll want to have dinner with me and we'll fall in love over poetry and curry". Or "Wow. I've never seen a girl so close-up before. Maybe if I say something that makes her want to have an emotional shower she'll feel so broken and used she'll agree to sleep with me". For the record: maybe not.
Just yesterday I was commenting on how much better I've been feeling since I don't work in the drop in. I'm not surrounding by so many people all the time and I don't get hit on very often and I can dress normal. Skirts! Scarves! Sneakers! But then today I had a chat with a Mr. Dirty and it made me so angry. I find it interesting how a word (pretty) can be so nice, and can turn into an attack on one's person. Grrr.... Once again I don't know how I managed to get this life. I am SO not that girl. Anyway, soon after that annoying interaction Jesus brought my favorite crazy man into the office. He was fun. And he always makes me giggle and he was giggly today and he used some of the same words that Mr. Leer used, and like that I wanted to snap Mr. Leer's neck a little bit less. And I still might wear a skirt tomorrow.

No comments: