Saturday, June 30, 2007

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Rock Show



We were almost in Red Deer when we got a flat tire. We were in the process of finding the spare and looking for a jack when a man and his daughter pulled up to give us a hand. Ten minutes later we were back on the road. We were clueless with where to go and what would be opened. Then we saw it. The Toyota dealership. I flashed the guy at the front desk and he promptly took my keys. We watched Malcolm in the Middle, read celebrity mags, played Sudoku and talked about boys while we waited. They weren't able to patch the tire, but did have one "in the back". When I went to pay for it, he said it was on the house and the paperwork would be more of a hassle than the tire was worth. What? The moral of this story: always travel with a group of "helpless girls" and always, always flash the guy at the front desk. One more thing. We took my car, and it was packed with five people and bags and carrot sticks and blankets. So, the poor guy had to move all our sh*t to put the tire back. I still feel a bit bad about that. But getting helped by a stranger and getting a tire for free was the best possible start to the trip. I can't think of anything that could have made me happier.
Destroyer and CVG were fantastic. They played at a church and I really like going to shows at churches. Yesterday we had the day to kill and we went to the Calgary Art Gallery and the exhibit was by John Hartman on cities and it was perfect. I love LOVE "the city". The city at its best reminds me our interdependence and makes me love the Creator. And I was able to enjoy the city in a new city and it was perfect. And Nelson Henricks "Map of the City" was fantastic. Mother Mother and Spoon were both awesome and I saw my aunt there. I also rubbed myself into a minor celebrity. And there were no flat tires on the way home. Just an awkward conversation with a kid at 7 eleven. Sigh. And the weekend has just begun!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

It was an adventure indeed. You are right the helpless female act really did work to our advantage.

Anonymous said...

i guess i'll have to try my next road trip in drag.