Friday, February 08, 2008

Yeah, I'm Gonna Marry a Carrot


I am winding down after a grumpy/crappy week with the Simpsons. It's the episode when Lisa decides to become a vegetarian. I remember when I was a kid and wanted to become a vegetarian. I mentioned it once or twice to my mom. She didn't receive it well, and as I was the peace maker child in my family, I didn't push it.  It wasn't until my second year on my own that I went for it. I finally went down the path that was chosen for me. It was an exciting time. But it was also stressful relating my choice to the people that knew me all my life. I am thankful that I had that discussion with my family years ago. It was an uncomfortable time. I stopped eating meat AND I got my nose pierced. How could I have tortured my parents so much? It's funny to look back on because neither of those actions should have been that big of a deal. But I guess my folks felt like I was rejecting their way of life. My life does look a lot different than theirs, but our core values remain similar. We value love, laughter, and punk rock. 
My grandma still seems to find it very odd. She is a wonderful and hilarious woman and when she remembers my deficiency she says something like, "Oh Angie, what are YOU going to eat? Should I boil you an egg?" If I didn't have the gluten thing going on, I would try veganism, but I do have the gluten-thing, so yes, Grandma, an egg would be great.  
I really do love this episode - its the one with the pig roast. A few years ago we had a family reunion with a pig roast. It was a bonding time for me with my parents and brothers. Despite (or maybe because of) raising pigs on the farm for years, most of us don't do pork. It was hard to not picture the roast floating through the air...  Anyway, if there is one thing I have learned from the Simpsons: "You don't make friends with salad". 

No comments: