Friday, February 29, 2008

Men

Today was my second, and last day of being friends with two nice boys. Oh the memories that I will have forever. Sitting on a bench in the park, sitting on a chair in a house, walking down the street, walking up a hill... When we were walking, we passed a young woman who was really high and messed up. Then we saw this guy, in his early 20s, he was clean looking, middle class. We were close by as he passed the girl, and he asked if she "wanted to party". It was really terrible. She was so vulnerable - and he just really wanted to take advantage of her. I know this happens lots, but it was gross to see. It's men like that who make me want to not walk alone. It's men like that who make me feel like maybe I should be wearing a bigger hoodie, like it's a problem and my fault for having a body. It's men like that who make me want to say "I don't like men". But I know that by taking a stand like "some men are johns, so I don't like men" is a really hateful thing. And, I was with two men who were equally upset with this guy's behavior. There are lots of really good people in this world. There are lots of people, men and women, who value life. There are men out there who don't do the drive by heckle. I am going to try to be more aware of my "I don't like men" thoughts and statements. There are lots of good men out there.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Yes, some men are good. Like our dads. You can still be friends with those guys I am sure if you really wanted to.