Saturday, April 21, 2007

Did it Hurt...When I Kicked You in the Crotch?

Lately, I've been reflecting on how events in life become normalized. This realization really hit me on Wednesday when I was waiting for a client at an innercity clinic. I was sitting in the waiting room - sitting next to one man and across from a guy with sunglasses. The sunglasses guy asked the man his name and the man responded angrily and aggressively. ("Why are you asking me.... what do you want to know... grrr....."). Sunglasses asked the man what he did. The man told Sunglasses that he was a pastor. Sunglasses asked Pastor if he practiced the Book. Pastor responded: yes. 33 years. The banter continued until Sunglasses turned his attention to me and began flirting. Pastor got all weird and informed Sunglasses that I was an intellectual and that I was not interested. Then Pastor asked me to pick up his plastic bag. I told him it was heavy. Pastor then asked me to go drinking with him. I politely refused. Pastor promptly stormed out of the building. Sunglasses then began telling me that he is waiting to see the doctor because of his sore throat. He apparently got sick because a beautiful woman kept on kissing him. Sunglasses then passed out. I found the whole situation amusing. And very normal. It was a bit strange for me because it was happening outside of my regular work place, but this kind of stuff happens to me on a daily basis. This is my life. THIS IS MY LIFE?!
How is it that this has become my life? While many of my peers spend much time picking up/getting picked up by people they wouldn't get fired for dating, I spend my time telling homeless men/intoxicated men/drug dealers that I am not interested. How is it that the previously mentioned group believe that I am totally their type? Just to clarify. If you are a vegetarian man between the age of 22 and 42 and are not addicted to any chemicals, or solvents, are able to hold down a job, and like Jesus and Creation and rock shows then I may be your type. I know, hearts across the globe are now crushed due to this revealed piece of information. Sorry to disappoint. So very sorry. But seriously. This is my life.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I love that story. Yes, this is your life. But don't you effin love it!