Sunday, June 08, 2008

Flew the Coop

Okay, so my 2 posts in one day is an obvious sign of my high level of emotionality. I'm a deep feeler and I am home alone. Cut me some slack. 
We are not going to form as a cooperative. It just happened. One of our members sadly informed the group today that she doesn't feel right about joining the co-op. So we took 2o steps back and started from the beginning and decided that with the smaller group that it would not be unreasonable to buy a building with a shared mortgage as joint tenants (or tenants in common - I'm not sure which one yet). It can happen quicker, and we won't need the help of the consultant. We don't have to become a legal entity. It will be simple. We each need to get pre-approved for a mortgage and then we can look for a building while HS tries to sells her place. We buy a building and then we move in and live happily ever after until someone decides they want out.  Awesome? Yes. 
I sometimes have a hard time deciding what I want and what I think I should want. I really thought that I should want to do something noble and good and giving like start a continuing co-op where people for years ahead will be able to have good, affordable housing. That is a good thing to want. But what I really want is to make an investment to help supplement my small wage at my noble and good and giving job. I am not a saint. I am not perfect. And, I have an overwhelming student debt.... I am excited because the building will still be focused on community, simplicity, sharing, and dance parties. I will just be slightly better off financially in the end than I would if we did the coop thing. I feel good about pursing this want. It's not like my want to drink Starbucks coffee, or to buy cute clothes from the mall that was made by children in (fill in the blank of country). I don't think this want will hurt anybody, it will just help me be able to eat my seven dollar bread into the future.  Phew.  

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I know it is funny how fast we changed our minds. Seems fickle but really it was like it became obvious. I am nervous and excited - had a moment of panic driving home but this morning woke up with peace and a clear head. Time to sell my home!

ms. maybe said...

It was funny how fast were able to choose a new path. Time to sell your home!