Tuesday, January 22, 2008

There's No Romance in My Blood (and no-antibodies to give me the diagnosis I crave)

I talked to an a-hole today on the phone. It was work related - I was advocating for someone. He was the employer and landlord. I was being nice. I kept my voice low and calm. I think he knew he was in trouble from the get-go and he responded defensively. But seriously. He didn't have to be so mean. I found myself spewing out phrases of dirty words for about 7 minutes after I hung up the phone. I haven't been that angry for a loooong time. 
On a different note, my roommate has a fever tonight and she ordered pizza. Now, I'm not much of a pizza eater, but I do know a thing or two about being sick...
I went to Pizzeria Prego  last Friday night and they have gluten free crusts there!!!!!! !!!!!! They do have corn in them, (and cheese on them) and it was delicious. It's been awhile since I've had pizza, and I ate the whole thing in one sitting. That was somewhat regrettable, but I have pizza back in my life (well, kind of in my life - corn and dairy aren't my best friends). 
Speaking of best friends...have you seen "Scott Baio is 45 and Single"?!?? Maybe it was the pizza, but that is one good-trashy show. I am thankful for the writers strike. I have my Thursday nights back, and when I visit my cable-d friend, I can gorge on reality shows without feeling too guilty about it. For example: "Hey what do you want to do tonight?" "We can watch cable." "Okay, but there's nothing on." "I guess we can watch Scott Baio again." "Okay." See? It's that simple. 
I've decided to try to convince my family to all get tested for Celiacs (even though I've never been actually "diagnosed" with it). Tonight, I checked in with my mom and talked with one of my brothers. I am pretty sure that if anyone in family has it, it is my darling middle brother. Years ago when my spirit knew it was time to say good-bye to gluten it was difficult, but manageable. I had a healthy lifestyle even when I was ill. I can't imagine making such a big change and not being very healthy. I guess the only thing I can do is ask the Creator to speak to and heal his spirit.
I am going through a strange time right now. I feel like I am going through healing from the years of being sick and not looking sick and having physicians brush me off. It was really hard when I hurt so bad and had nothing to show for it. No one seemed to take me seriously. I was so low. My body ached. I was emotionally drained. But from what I was being told, I was the picture of health. I really tried hard to brush it off. It seems a bit silly that I am so emotional about this. But I finally feel vindicated. And now that I'm throwing around the C-word, I no longer feel like it's necessary to throw in disclaimers about my diet, and I feel less apologetic when I ask questions in restaurants. You probably don't care. That's fine. But this is a big thing for me right now. 

2 comments:

kelseydawn said...

there's a writer's strike on? wha?

Heidi said...

oh i wish it was monday - new scott baio episode can't wait