Friday, October 12, 2007

Not a Recipe Blog

Last night as I was making supper I thought: more people should know about my awesome peanut sauce recipe. And soon they will.
I got a flu shot today. I am not advocating that all should get influenza immunized, but I believe it is a good idea for my life. I work with a number of sick people and I don't seem to have the strongest immune system. I have had not one, but two separate incidents of blacking out due to the flu. The first time it happened, I was working at a coffee shop. I hadn't been there long, and I was opening on my own. I didn't have any staff numbers. I woke up about half an hour before I was supposed to leave. It was early and I felt tired. I stumbled along to the bathroom and it was there that I realized that I couldn't really see. Having a strong work ethic, I decided that I needed to get coffee ready for the caffeine-addicted folks. I remembered that one of my roommates was working early as well, and decided to seek her help. I managed to crawl up the stairs and found her room. "I can't see. I can't see". She helped me down the stairs and put on my shoes. She drove me to work where I could find the manager's phone number and let her know I was a little sick. I called and she asked me to open. I did. My coworker ended up being late. I managed to not vomit or fall over while I was there. AND I did a terrible job.
The second time felt like old hat. I woke up. I realized I was sick. I had a lunch date that I was obviously not going to make. I couldn't really stand so I got a roommate to hack into my email account and send a "can't make it" email. I went to get some ginger ale from the kitchen (I don't think it actually helps, but people keep on insisting it helps). On my way to my room I stopped being able to see or to stand. My ginger ale spilled on the floor. Sticky sticky floor. I don't know why I get so sick, but if I manage to avoid illness for the next two weeks while the immunization does whatever it is supposed to do, I may avoid falling down for a little while longer. Phew!

(still not a recipe blog, but here's a good recipe)

Peanut Sauce
makes one cup
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 cup brown rice vinegar
2 tbsp cilantro, chives, scallions
2-3 cloves garlic
1-2 tbsp soy sauce*
1 tsp chilies
Whisk and add 1/4 - 1/2 cups warm water
Heat it up until it boils
*if you're inviting me over when you make this, use gluten-free soy sauce*
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

thanks angie. it is very tasty. the flu shot is a good idea for you.