Monday, March 05, 2012

I Think I Might Be an Evangelical

Listen up, Internet! I got something to say!

I've been thinking about changing churches. I've been at my (baptist) church for almost a decade. I like many things about it. I feel like it's made up of folks who are earnestly working to make the world a better place, and collectively have a beautiful faith. Sunday mornings are usually pretty okay times, and has an impact on my week. But I have some concerns. A few months ago all the Elders came to the front of the sanctuary. I have no prior memory of seeing all the Elders together. There were no ladies in that group. This hit me really hard. I know that my values are not fully in-line with many of that church, but the visual representation of the role of women hurt my heart. Having children of my own isn't really part of my plan, but I sure would like to foster at some point. Is it ethical for me to bring children to a church with (mostly hidden) sexist values? Did I mention that my dream is to foster LGBTQ kids that aren't safe at home because of their LGBTQ-ness? Would an obviously gay boy be accepted at the youth group? I think many would be amazing and inclusive, but I do not think it's out of line to assume that some would be a little on the rotten side (and I'm not just talking about the youth). Do I work on establishing roots in an affirming church for the possibility of fostering? Should I leave my current church or wait it out? What should my role be? Am I up for trying to stir things up a bit?
When I talk about my faith, I identify as Christian, who attends an evangelical church - and doesn't particularly identify as evangelical. This semester I've stayed in the new west a few weekends and have started attending a united church. I pretty much want to cry (in a good way) when I'm there. It's nice to see a diversity of families. It's nice to hear talk about the environment. It's nice. I feel the spirit there. It's easy. I am so accustomed to sitting through Sunday services with a critical ear and the sense that: if they only knew how many dirty word combinations I can come up with... I want to leave my current church because it would be easy and it's nice to be around more like-minded people.
Reasons to stay connected to an evangelical church: I really love Jesus. I see good in the intimacy with Jesus that results from actively seeking to integrate him into my heart and my life. The person-centered focus can distract from the work that Jesus' life, death, and resurrection have on bringing justice to the world - but I think the work that can happen in the person can lead to bringing justice to the world. I think the good news is GOOD FREAKIN' NEWS and should be shared. (I mean, I want the world to know about the need for nasal irrigation. Why wouldn't I want to talk about Jesus?!). BUT I can already feel the novelty of fitting in wearing off. I think I've come to find comfort in feeling slightly out of sync.

Hmmm... so all that to say that over the course of writing this post, I now don't know if I'm going to change churches anytime in the near future. I think when I get back home in the spring I will make the choice to once again start investing time and energy into the church. And I will start voting conservative. Wink. Because I might be an evangelical. WInk wink. (omg lol).

1 comment:

Brett said...

I really liked hearing your heart here. Thanks for sharing.

I like your comment at the end about maybe needing to be out of sync with things. Keeps us on our toes and fiery.

When we are home we go to our home church, a baptist one as well. At first, we went there because family did. Yet, every time we go home I am more and more blown away at how awesome the place and the people are. They have definitely evolved over the years, and I would hope that be true for any church seeking to grow (and I don't just mean more people).

Good luck to you in this. It is a great thing that you have thought about that most people would probably never think about.