Sunday, January 24, 2010

Argh

Over the Christmas holidays, everybody's favorite client passed away beautifully in his sleep in the company of family. I will miss him, but it was so comforting to know that it wasn't a violent death and he wasn't by himself. What impacted me most was how I am so privileged to be able to grieve in the privacy of my home. I was impacted by this guy's life, but he wasn't my friend. He wasn't my cousin or my brother. I was sad to lose him, but even sadder that life is terribly unfair. People don't have a safe place to brush their teeth, to be intimate with a partner, or to mourn for a good friend. I cried more with this realization that I did for the loss of a beautiful life. I am embarrassed that it took until now to form these thoughts. What.the.hell.?

3 comments:

cayliedawn said...

seriously, the words "to be intimate with a partner" broke my heart in a really good way. i think you captured that concept and need very quietly and appropriately. your heart is so good and so gentle, angela. i am glad that there are people like you, and especially glad that people like you do the kind of work that you do.

cayliedawn said...

i should clarify that all the things i said refer to "to be intimate with a partner" WITHIN the context of the rest of the paragraph you wrote.

ms. maybe said...

Thanks Caylie.