Tuesday, April 08, 2008

You've Got Something on the End of Your Nose

I have been realizing more and more that I have a lot of rules guiding my life. We all do, I know. It's just that I am becoming more cognizant of just how snotty many of my rules are. These rules include coffee, alcohol, food, clothing, music, tv, movies, shoes, pants, pants, pants, just to name a few. I remember meeting a really nice boy once and deciding within minutes that I could never date him because I didn't like his pants. I know. I'm sick. 
The second last time I was in Vermilion, I filled up my car at the station on my way out of town. I decided to get a coffee. I don't do gas station coffee. It's not just because of the ethical issues surrounding coffee, it's because I don't do gas station coffee. I didn't even bring my mug, and had to use a paper cup. I tried to play it cool like I did that sort of thing everyday. You know, drive my car and buy coffee in a paper cup from a place that also sells air fresheners and pepperoni sticks. I thought I did a really good job of blending in. I tried telling this story to my folks the last time I visited. It was during the re-telling of the story that I realized that I have a little bit of the crazies. I think my taste is better than most others because I don't roll up the rim, and I think TH coffee sucks. 
I have lectured friends on buying cheap alcohol. Music is an obvious one that many of us have succumbed to (does a "your favorite music sucks" t-shirt ring any bells??). I feel far too justified in my snobbery. Church music is another obvious one. Sometimes it's really good, sometimes I go to the bathroom three times. I have an attitude problem. The biggest part of my problem is that I like my attitude problem. It's become part of my identity and I find it comforting. 
My predisposition to dislike things has been recently challenged. Now, this may come as a shock, but I started watching the television show "The O.C.". I tried to keep it under wraps for awhile because, without watching it, I believed that I disliked it. I thought the world was stupid for liking it. I believed myself to be a much smarter and discerning television watcher than the average O.C. viewer. Holy shit. What else have I missed out on??? I'm not intending on changing most of my snotty positions. Tim Hortons will always suck, and no one deserves to be drinking a ten dollar bottle of vodka. No one. But I might be missing out on things. Maybe I should just give myself the chance to like things. Maybe I would be better off judging a person based on their understanding of world events than on their pants.  
(I'm listening to Danielson right now. How would you rate me?) Please still be my friends. I promise I won't judge your pants. Your alcohol, maybe. And your pants, but I'll keep that one in my head.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Well I drink Tim Hortons coffee mainly because like many things in my life I am too lazy to insist on better. But I am listening to Andrew Bird right now so how do I rate. I have a funny story when I see you next that I will not subject your other blog fans to.

dargz said...

and some of us don't have fancy inner city jobs and can't afford vodka that costs more than $10. i also had $5 wine tonight, what do you think of that?!

but i will have to borrow the OC from you, my tv is on the fritz.

ms. maybe said...

Five dollar wine. What do you think I think of that? What season do you want? I have them all.

Andrew Yeo said...

Welcome to the darkside Ang, sadly there is no turning back... But you won't want to anyway, cos you will enjoy your time in the Orange County. Season 4 was particularly awesome (save a couple eps near the end).

And I'm revealing my ulitmate geekdom in saying this, but to find ultimate fullfillment in your 'tv on dvd' viewing you must add the following to your library(if you don't already have them that is... Freaks and Geeks, My So-Called Life, Party of Five, Joan of Arcadia)

kelseydawn said...

my so called life.
DO IT!